Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Review - Inheritance: World of the Guardians




I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.



The Blurb: 


“Talk about hell on earth…”

Sekhmet’s life was pretty good; you know for a goddess. Her job was simple – kill those that sought to go against the creator. It was a job she was good at but unfortunately got a little too carried away with when she almost single handedly wiped out mankind. For her penance she has spent the last thousand years serving as one of the Guardians; a group of immortals that protect mankind and led by the Goddess Isis – who kind of had her own anger issues. 

The Azura, a league of immortal bad asses, are literally trying to bring hell on earth and with it, Set – the banished God and ruler of the Makhaut. For the first time in history and with the help of the Makhaut, they may actually pull it off. Even the Guardians are at a loss.

In the Hail Mary of all attempts to save the world Isis, now going by Isira, sends Sekhmet to New Orleans, to find and protect the “Key” but when it is determined that a traitor lies among the Guardians, Sekhmet, now going by the name of Syn, is forced to seek help in the most unlikely of places…her least favorite person and fellow Guardian…Malachi.

What’s a former Goddess to do?

Oh yeah, kick butt and take names.


S.K. Whiteside has created a world of modern myth with roots in the ancient world, and she has done so in an unexpectedly marvelous way. My hat is off to artist and to the craft she used to take the idea behind this story to the actual reality of the pages. I was more than a little impressed.

The characters that drive this story, and are barely contained by it, are both larger than life and believable. No small feat. I understood their drives and passions, and still found their dialog impressive. 

This is not my normal "brand" of paranormal, but the characters made it easy for me to look past that. The Mythos and creatures presented aren't really my cup of tea at all, but I still found myself drawn on by this easy to read, hard to put down, page turner. It was at times fast paced, and contained easy to identify with language, emotions and attitudes. It's not often that I find myself as amused by, and attached to, characters in this genre... It really speaks volumes for the author. In short: this book is a wild ride, but one I felt was worth taking...  one I will gladly take again.

That being said... and in the spirit of honesty... I have to admit that I found Scribe (by the same author) to be a more satisfying read. This installment left me with a few unanswered questions... not big ones, mind you... but that took away, ever so slightly from the work, and makes my recommendation of Scribe all the stronger. Don't misunderstand, this book is a 4.5 star book... Scribe, though... 5+.



- Dennis Sharpe



Inheritance on Goodreads.com

Inheritance on Amazon.com (Kindle or Paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment